Monday, October 24, 2005

Mother's Legacy

TO ALL WHO LOVE THEIR MOTHER,
01. Mother died in Yr 2002 in her sleep in her house (as she wanted it to be) one early April Morning after having been served a cup of Vegetable Soup, by her Maid Attendant, while sitting upright in her bed and made to lie down again. Shortly thereafter, she must have simply dosed off to death - probably, just a few seconds before she could have even seen me visit her that morning. As I was shocked to see her expressionless face while I quickly embraced her tightly in my arms, I still heard her gasp her last breath-of-life. She was 84 yrs old.

02. Mother lived a very much "challenged life". This is her story.
  • As a growing-up bright young provincial girl making good grades in her Elementary and High School, under the tutelage of the Belgian Sisters (Franciscan Order), and as she was the only child (among 7 sisters with no brother) serious with her studies, she ran away from home as she was determined to continue on with College in the City - despite her Father's diminished fortunes due to failing health. To survive as a stranger in Manila and to sustain herself in school, she had to work as a Maid in a Boarding House near school. Neverthless, in the years to follow, Mother transformed from a provincial Cebuana Girl into a city Manila Lady. She was a Campus Beauty - bright and pretty. Her College Professors took notice of her and offered her well-paying jobs upon graduation. But, she chose to return home, got herself a job in her hometown, and re-built her Father's House.
  • World War II brought my Father and Mother together. As they were both Guerrillas fighting the Japanese Occupation Army in the mountains of Cebu, they fell in love and had a family of their own. I was the eldest of her children - 4 Brothers + 3 Sisters. I was born in January 1944. My youngest Brother died in his youth. Soon after the end of WWII, the family relocated to Mindanao where Father was granted a Homestead of 144 hectares of Agricultural Land. But, as Mother was concerned about the future of her growing-up and increasing number of children, she insisted in uprooting the family from Mindanao - for relocation in Manila.
  • As Father's health deteriorated in Manila, he would frequently re-visit his kinfolks in Cebu - and there, he finally died in 1965. Mother continued on living by herself - but only for the good of her children. Notwithstand the low Salary Income as a Gov't Employee, she remained determined that her sons get a Jesuit Education - despite its cost. Oftentimes, She would say: "Education is the only inheritance I would bequeath to my children that could not be stolen." In 1966 (and with my help as I was already gainfully employed), Mother had our old cramped 2-bedroom house torn down to give way to the construction of a new 2-storey 1st Family House. Again in 1989, Mother wanting to earn Rental Income from the 1st Family House, asked me to oversee the construction of the smaller 2nd Family House located at the corner of the same Family Lot Compound which she used for herself.

03. In Life, Mother struggled to give her children her Life, her Love, her Home - and the Best-of-Education. In death, she also would want this Legacy to be passed on to her Grandchildren - and the generations to follow. It was her wish that the Family Compound would remain in the Ownership & Custody of her Children - and with its Rental Income going into a Trust Fund to help provide for "Good Health" and "Good Education" of her future generations. But sadly, this is not to be so. Soon after burial, while 1 Sister voluntarily gave up her Inheritance in favor of the rest, my 2 Brothers & 2 Sisters decided to sell their respective Share-of-Inheritance for reasons of their own. Upon my request, I was granted the 1st Option-to-Buy - valid until Year-end 2004 and extended until Year-end 2005. I believe that I would not be able to get another extension.

04. My Financial Situation has not been good for some years now - but my successful quadruple Heart by-Pass in Yr2003 makes me confident that I could raise enough "Buy-Out Money" not later than Year-end 2007. As my deadline is nearing, I pray for Miracles to happen. And with my Mother as my Heavenly Intercessor, I believe that GOD would touch the hearts & open the pockets of ALL who love their Mother.

05. Are you God-sent?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home